Thursday, September 06, 2007

Well, we had a fun Labor Day weekend. D&T came up. Monday we went to the "Bottoms" for prime rib.
Shiner's not doing well. His leg looked swollen and we took him back in. The vet kept him. He has an abscess. They've reopened him twice now and now there is old blood they may have to take out. The have him on another stronger antibiotics. We should know more tomorrow.

Mama accidentally let Happy our while the chickens were out. I just happened to go outside and all three dogs were at the chicken house. One of the yellow chickens was missing and a red one looks mortally wounded. Happy ripped her chest open. I dosed her up with Clavomox drops that I had on hand. The yellow one had escaped to the woods and has since returned. Happy is on very thin ice. I'm having evil thoughts of tying him in Diego's pasture and letting Diego stomp him to death or Dad said he was going to hide his bullets. I still have mine-- and the gun. Happy is now chained while the chickens are out. Lady has been hiding all day.

We are now getting 5-7 eggs a day. All the eggs are brown. Some lighter than others. The hens all seem to have a favorite nest and I've seen 2 hens in one nest before. We put golf balls in the other nests to trick them into laying in other nests. Elvis' status is safe for now. He is doing well by his hens. You should have seen him go after D&T's little dog -- I guess 3 dogs at one time were a bit much for him.

I hope to got the gem/gold mines soon. We'll plan it on one of your days off. I think its fun.

1 comment:

Mouse said...

Send love to Shiner for us!!!
Did we actually lose any chickens in the Happy-mess??? Or just the one is wounded pretty bad???